4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
6-7 tablespoons cold water
filling options (singly or a mix):
1/2 cup chopped dried fruit
1/2 cup coarsely finely chopped nuts
1/2 cup jam or marmalade
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup chopped chocolate
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine dates, marmalade, walnuts, coconut and raisins in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- Slowly beat in corn syrup and oil. Then add eggs, one at a time. Add a little of the cold water, use just enough to hold dough together.
- Roll out dough between two pieces of wax paper.
- Carefully remove the top sheet of wax paper.
- Cut out rounds. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of each round. Gather the edges of dough, pinch together to seal in the filling. Form pastry into a ball shape and place on an ungreased cookie sheet, seam side down. Slightly flatten balls to flatten tops.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the egg and milk. Brush tops and sides of the pastry with the glaze.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden browned, don't overbake.
- Let cool on cookie sheet 1 minute then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Flavor combinations I have made:
- Blueberry Almond
- Chocolate Pecan (everyone's favorite!!!)
- Pineapple, Coconut, Macadamia Nut
- Apple, Raisin, Walnut
with Chinese Five Spice